Translate this Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Bloody Nose

I want to talk about noses.  F1 noses are getting higher and higher.  My memory may be wrong but I was of the impression that, at the end of the 90's an issue arose in respect of the possible dangers arising from a T-bone impact of a sharp nose against a driver's cockpit.

I fail to see the difference between the possible dangers arising from a sharp nose and the current crop of high, flat, "blade", noses apparent over last season and this years design solutions as presented by Ferrari, Sauber, Renault, Mercedes, Red Bull, Williams, Virgin, and McLaren.

McLaren's nose is very much designed in a way which would puncture a monocoque, while Mercedes flattens out towards the tip.  I know that monocoques are designed to very high safety standards these days but nonetheless...


OOoops!