Translate this Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

Ron Denis Banned from Driving

Not really an F1 news story as such, but it is quite funny that Ron has been banned from driving for 6 months having gotten 12 penalty points on his licence.

the Interesting thing is that he said that he jumped the lights - triggering the final 3 points which brought him to 12 and an automatic ban - in order to avoid a collision.  That's either great driving or a poor excuse.

I can sympathise with that position though as years ago I was stopped at a set of pedestrian traffic lights allowing people to cross the road when I heard the squeal of tyres behind me.  I looked in my rear view mirror to see a black Mercedes (It wasn't Ron) skidding towards me at a rate of knots with the driver desperately trying to avoid rear ending me.  Because there were pedestrians crossing the road I couldn't jump the lights to avoid the accident so instead I put on the handbrake and stood on the brake pedal in the hope that when he finally hit me he wouldn't push my little Mitsubishi into the pedestrian traffic.

I just remember this second of silence where it seemed like he had managed to stop - then the equivalent impact of a tank crushing an ant.

I've changed my mind - I believe Ron's story.  At least he has enough money that he can afford a chauffeur!