Translate this Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Does Blogging Hurt F1

Am I being too critical of all of the knick-knacks and gee-gaws and thingy-gummies which have been attached to the F1 cars this season?

Can I really quantify the impact of these extra tweeks on the racing?

Am I right, in that the DRS, KERS, and Tyres that I seem to be constantly whinging about are in fact detrimental to the actual racing?

I mean, with all of these "innovations" who can actually judge the impact of the blown diffuser, the forward exhaust layouts, Red Bull's infamous flexing front wing.  Are the actual innovations getting lost under the mire of artificial aides?

Is it all about tyre management, "undercutting", and getting to within a second of the guy in front?

Am I right in that the racing is getting lost in the orgy of overtaking and that we, the punters, are actually losing something special while the FIA seeks to increase the F1 audience?

Or maybe it's because I'm blogging about F1 this year and as a result I'm losing my ability to sit back and enjoy the show?  If that's the case then it's only me that has lost something and F1 is doing alright thank you very much!

The thing is though that F1 has a worldwide audience which is third only to the Olympics and the World Cup with somewhere in the region of 500 - 600 million viewers per race - for advertising purposes you can't get much better - except obviously in the US market.

Having talked to and read US fans online I know that you guys are dyed-in-the-wool fans of the sport so tell me - What segment of the US would be attracted by the current F1 format? Would it appeal to Nascar fans (Austin circuit)? Indycar Fans? Who and how many?

I just can't get my head around who these changes are supposed to benefit, or whether my blogging has made me far too critical of this season's radical changes.