Translate this Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012

That's me told: Toro Rosso retains Vergne and Ricciardo for 2013

Maybe it was Ricciardo's interview with ESPN that did it, a bit of publicity to the cause not being any bad thing when seeking to ensure your future, but, interestingly enough Scuderia Toro Rosso came out yesterday evening with the confirmation that Daniel and his team-mate Jean Eric needed in order to put their minds at rest.

The message from Franz Tost was simple and also stark in its statement:
"Since the summer break, both drivers have scored more points and everyone in the team has been impressed with their maturity in terms of working with the engineers and their racecraft on track. We will be doing our best in the next few months, to produce a 2013 car which will allow them to demonstrate their talent".
Basically the guys would appear to have done enough since the summer break to ensure their drive for next year.  Not enough done before the summer break obviously or is that just me reading too much into it?.

Regardless, the two guys are justifiably delighted, Daniel Ricciardo saying:
“I am really pumped to know that I am continuing with Scuderia Toro Rosso for another season and want to thank the team and Red Bull. There are big expectations for next year and I’m ready and willing to fulfil them”
and Jean-Eric Vergne adding:
“I am really happy about this great news. Thank you Toro Rosso and thank you Red Bull, who have backed me since the early days of my career...I really believe in this team and with all the experience I have gained, combined with the team’s ambitious plans for next year, I think we can look forward to great things in 2013, attacking all the way.”
Congratulations to the guys on retaining their seats.  Heikki, Bruno, and Kamui still unsure for next season.

I am interested to know what the Scuderia Toro Rosso "big expectations" and "ambitious plans for next year" are (and whether they differ significantly from last years ambitious plans).